Sunday, January 27, 2008

Lasagna and Pizza

Last night I tried out a raw lasagna. I was going to try and do a pesto sauce, but I couldn't find any basil at the store, so I got a pesto packet, so it was not officially raw, but it was pretty close. I used zucchini as the base. I cut them up pretty thick. I think next time I would just slice them thin like I do with the raw spaghetti, but maybe wider and just a bit thicker. Then I had a marinara sauce, which I just dumped in italian seasoning, a few pieces of green pepper, some sun-dried tomatoes, and tomatoes. (I would definitely go with the other marinara sauce though, which I will describe below). Then I took the pesto packet I had, blended it up with some sunflower seeds, for the third layer. It turned out pretty tasty. For mine, I added thinly sliced green peppers as a fourth layer. I really liked that, but figured I didn't want to overload Janardan too many vegetables. I am glad to report that he did not report getting very ill, so that is good news. I was worried I might have to take him to urgent care if he started breaking out in hives.


Today for lunch I made raw pizza. I stopped by Ginger's Cafe in Springville last night and got some raw crackers so I could make this meal. I got the assorted pack, and there are three varieties that I really like, and then one that I do not so much, but it is good to know for future reference. One kind was a curried corn cracker, and got my brain spewing ideas for Indian raw food. I'll have to try making something up later this week.
For the raw pizza, I used the raw cracker as the crust. Then the marinara, which I put in soaked sun-dried tomatoes, tomatoes, basil, oregano, garlic salt, minced onions, a bay leaf, two slices of green pepper and I forgot to put in olive oil, but I would definitely recommend about a teaspoon of olive oil. I ended up with a little leftover, which I am saving for tomorrow's luch for spaghetti.
I spread that on top of the cracker, and then put slices of avocado on, to kind of act as the creaminess of the cheese. Then on Janardan's I topped with cucumbers, and mine I topped with red peppers. It was so yummy. I really enjoyed the pizza. Getting the marinara sauce right makes it so much yummier.
I am however beginning to notice that I do not get very filled from these raw meals. I think I will need to make more of them to be more filled. I imagine it will just be an adjustment. I wonder also if sprouted grains would be more filling. I put the avocado on today hoping it would make it more filling, and I thought the cracker would too, but I suppose it may take a bit more.
I tried sprouting barley before I left for vacation, but I didn't have enough time. I saw broccoli sprouts in the store yesterday, and they looked yummy. I will have to start out another experiment with sprouts.
Also as an aside, sorry about the crappy quality of the pictures. I need to find the charger for my real camera. I found it at some point this week while unpacking, but have since lost track of it, so sometime this week, hopefully I will find it, and be able to present you with better pictures.

No comments: